Therapeutic recreation, or T.R., is an innovative field that has lately gained prominence as a way to address a gap between various forms of therapy. T.R. allows individuals with specific, manageable barriers to engage in activities that might otherwise be inaccessible.
What Is Therapeutic Recreation?
Alternatively called Recreational Therapy, it isn’t quite physical therapy, and it’s not quite recreation either—it’s a hybrid of the two that draws on the benefits of each. There are different types of T.R. with different goals. In general, T.R. engages an individual to move their body, or some part of it, for curative, rehabilitative, or maintenance purposes while drawing on the fun aspect of the recreation side. This approach keeps participants challenged and stimulated, but within their comfort zone and enjoying the activity.
In the context of senior care, T.R. can take many forms. For just a few examples:
- Card games practice manual dexterity and cognitive thinking skills
- Arts and crafts exercise fine motor skills and creative abilities
- Musical activities rely on sensory input and concentration
- Dance helps practice locomotion and coordination
Why Is It Important
T.R. is important because it provides a stepping stone for those who might not otherwise be able to engage in recreational physical activities. It is patient-focused and tailored first and foremost to the needs of each participant. The end goal is most often to help a person maintain, or return to, a level of personal involvement and enjoyment in activities with a physical component.
H&H Total Care Services is a privately held company based in Surrey, BC, that is a leader in providing senior and young adult residential care services. With communities in both British Columbia and Alberta, H&H Total Care Services offers a wide range of compassionate care services from independent living to long-term complex care.
If you have any questions about this article or would like to talk to us about our range of care services, please feel free to contact us.
- The Role of a Sense of Community in the Mental Health of Seniors - June 30, 2021
- Nutrition Tips for Seniors - May 29, 2021
- A Special Spring Season for Seniors in Senior Living Communities in Alberta and British Columbia - April 28, 2021