Finding the best option for your loved ones when it comes time to move them into a seniors community can be a tough decision to make. With options of all sorts including level of care, intervention, social events, and extra activities offered – picking a retirement home is not a light decision.
How to Choose a Seniors Community
The best way to learn about an individual seniors community is by researching and visiting each potential community to really get a feel for their level of care. Start by narrowing down your choices: first determine which communities fit within the geographical area you are comfortable with. Once that has been established, visit the homes within that area to help you decide which one feels right for you and your loved ones.
Establish Level of Care Required
Make sure that the level of care required is going to be met with the community you choose. Ask questions such as:
- Are hot meals offered regularly?
- Will staff help with bathing/hygiene?
- Will medications be monitored?
- Are additional medical services offered – such as physiotherapy?
- Will there be outings planned into the community?
- Are social and fun events held on property?
- Is there nursing/medical staff onsite 24/7?
Asking these questions will help you to get a feel for whether or not the level of care at the community matches your requirements.
Doing your own research may also help to identify potential circumstances that you may not have thought of previously, such as whether or not some health care services may be covered under some insurances.
It is important to plan ahead for care as we come into our older years – making sure you have a plan in place for what is best for you or your loved ones ensures proper care will be provided to help ease the transition into a seniors community.
- Helping Seniors in Long-Term Care Communities Find Comfort During COVID-19 - June 26, 2020
- How BC Long-Term Care Communities Are Implementing Social Distancing - April 26, 2020
- Benefits of Long Term Care Homes and Services in BC - March 22, 2020