Long-term and assisted-living care communities have big challenges in implementing social distancing. Furthermore, the situation with COVID-19 is evolving, and the care communities are responding to the requirements and best practices as they also change.
This is what’s happening in British Columbia (BC).
The BC Ministry of Health has offered the following advice which is generally being followed throughout the province:
- To temporarily suspend inter-care-home transfers unless absolutely necessary.
- To prioritize admission from acute care over the community at large.
- To temporarily suspend adult day programs.
- To temporarily suspend in-house respite care.
In addition to the above, the following are also generally being implemented.
- Visits to care homes are strictly limited to emergency or end-of-life visits.
- Employees are working at one care home only and not rotating between care homes.
- Group classes are temporarily suspended.
- Dining areas have increased distance between tables and fewer residents at each table.
- Anyone exhibiting potential COVID-19 symptoms is quickly attended to and further isolated.
Long-term care communities are also doing the following to help their residents:
- Encouraging all means of communication with loved ones.
- Exploring ways to help residents occupy themselves while socially isolated.
- Helping residents to lower their stress and anxiety levels with things like mindfulness meditation.
- Encouraging fresh air and walks outside where possible.
Those involved in senior care understand the high-risk nature of our resident population. We want our seniors to be healthy and get through this pandemic unscathed.
H&H Total Care Services is committed to doing the very best that we can to protect our residents from COVID-19 as much as we are able.
H&H Total Care Services is a privately held company based in Surrey, BC, that is a leader in providing senior and young adult residential care services. With communities in both British Columbia and Alberta, H&H Total Care Services offers a wide range of compassionate care services from independent living to residential complex care.
If you have any questions about this article or would like to talk to us about our range of care services, please feel free to contact us.
- The Importance of Communication Between Long-Term Care Community Staff and Family Members - June 21, 2022
- The Importance of Visits to Long-Term Care Residents - May 19, 2022
- Resources to Help Plan for Long-Term Care Needs in BC - April 26, 2022